Monday, July 06, 2009

Expert Witnesses and Retirement



Have you planned for retirement? Will you simply close up shop and end your practice? Are you considering selling your expert witness practice? Many experts have contemplated this issue. And it matters, even it seems years away, because your end goals could affect the practice management and marketing decisions you make today and in the years to come.


Here is what one expert emailed me on the subject:

"Question: In a year or two, I would like to retire but I don't know what to do about my clients and practice. I have been an expert witness for about 20 years and have built a good nationwide practice with a number of law firms that use my services over and over along with a constant flow of new clients. My web site has an "employment" section that implies a qualified associate has the potential of acquiring the practice in addition to making a respectable income. The employment section has been on the web site for 6 or 8 months but so far there has not been any interest."

What are your thoughts? I would love to hear your experiences and plans. Please leave your thoughts in the comments or email me at meredith@expertcommunications.com. Also contact me if you would be interested in writing a guest article on this topic or a related one for our newsletter, Expert News.

No comments: