Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Lesson Learned (Again)

Why do we so often forget the lessons we've learned? Why, when something is working, do we stop doing it?

More than once an expert has contacted us saying, "Last year at this time, I had tons of cases. Now I have nothing."

When asked, "What were you doing last year that you aren't now?" the response is something like, "Oh, I was just attending section meetings at the local bar association and sending out professional announcements to my contact list every few months."

"So why did you stop?"

"Well, business was good."

DUH! (This also illustrates that marketing is not something you only do when business is bad - but that's a whole 'nother article.)

I am guilty of doing the same thing in many aspects of life. For example, I know that I feel better and have more energy when I drink a lot of water. But it's not until I've been feeling sluggish for awhile that I remember that and starting drinking more water! It was working, so why did I forget?

If your business has fallen off or any other area of your life is not quite up to par, ask yourself, "What was I doing differently when things were going well?" and start doing those things again!

No comments: